Monday, April 13, 2009

Health Hazards for Mercury Dental Amalgam Fillings

If you or anyone you care about has returned from their dentist's office with mercury amalgam (silver) fillings, please take a break and review this information.  There has been much discussion regarding the toxicity of mercury amalgam fillings over the past decade.  Go to:

You can read about the ADA (American Dental Association) gag rule.  Shocking --- and disappointing.  While you're there, check out the Toxicological Profile for Mercury from the US Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. 

I met Charles G Brown, Esq., National Council and Anita Tibau, Advocate and Health Action Litigant for Consumers for Dental Choice at the Health Freedom Expo Conference, Long Beach, California last weekend ( As a result of their tireless work, the FDA is required to classify Mercury by July 28, 2009.   

The Consumers for Dental Choice's mission is:
1.  To protect the health of children, whose developing brains can be harmed by any exposure to such a toxic product; exposure that is certain when the child has mercury fillings, and problematical when the mother is breast feeding, as mercury is transported from a mother's fillings through the placenta and into breast milk.

2.  To protect the rest of the population, because long term exposure to mercury though dental filling is increasingly being connected to brain diseases such as Alzheimer's.

3.  To take special steps to assure that low-income families are not left behind.  To allow 'choice' to govern a decision whether poison goes into a child's mouth will most assuredly lead to a two-tier system of health, analogous to the callous societal decision of taking lead out of the paint, but allowing another generation of inner city children to be exposed to it.

4.  To recognize the enormous harm that mercury-based dentistry is doing to the environment - objective studies continue to recognize dentistry as the major cause of mercury in the wastewater.

Mercury is the most toxic non-radioactive element and the volatile heavy metal.   Why would we use this substance in humans?  And inches from the brain?

I won't.  I had my amalgams removed 7 years ago.  If you choose to have yours removed, please be advised of the possibility of adverse toxic reactions.  It's wise to discuss the removal procedure with your dentist.  

Look for a mercury-free dentist in your area.  In Southern California, Tony Rich, DDS, has practiced mercury-free dentistry for years.  He is located in Newport Beach and can be reached at 949.302.2994.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.