So Susan Runner, speaking for the Food and Drug Administration, says you do not exist – nobody is injured by amalgam. FDA pretends mercury implanted an inch from a child’s brain does no harm, that mercury implanted in a pregnant woman does not hurt the unborn baby, that amalgam does not contribute to the total mercury bioburden in our bodies. Instead of protecting consumers, FDA gave the dental industry and the cut-rate pro-mercury dentists a green light to cover up the mercury from consumers in 2009.
Now thanks to all those who spoke out against the rule, FDA is reconsidering its position on amalgam. Here are three things you can do to make a difference:
1. Submit a Comment
FDA has asked for public comments, and we need to let them know that amalgam victims do exist. Comments must be submitted by December 3. If you are tired of FDA protecting horses and dogs from mercury but claiming that dental mercury is good for the public health, we urge you to comment now at http://www.toxicteeth.org/natcamp_fedgovt_fda_comments.cfm.
Here are some suggested talking points:
- Most importantly, tell FDA your story of how dental mercury affects you or your family.
- For pro-mercury Susan Runner, dentists’ profits trump the health of children and unborn babies. Even after hearing FDA’s scientific panel declare amalgam unsafe for these vulnerable populations in 2006, Runner still decided that children and pregnant women should be subjected to mercury exposure.
- FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg came to the agency straight from the boardroom of the largest amalgam seller, Henry Schein Inc. Our 2008 lawsuit knocked Runner out of control of FDA’s amalgam policy; FDA put strong warnings on its website and promised to classify (albeit three decades late). But Runner regained control over the amalgam issue courtesy of Commissioner Hamburg. Still owning her Schein stock options, ignoring the letter I wrote her 1 June 2009, and defying the very ethics contract she had signed to get the job, Commissioner Hamburg and Runner secretly conferred 1 July 2009 about the amalgam rule. Recently, new documents discovered under the Freedom of Information Act indicate that the rule – including its information for use section that now approves amalgam for use even in children and pregnant women – was altered after Hamburg got involved. No wonder Schein’s general counsel wrote Hamburg (on her private email, of course) that the company is “indebted” to her for her work as Commissioner.
- Tell FDA to junk its current policy, and for starters require disclosure of the mercury to consumers and ban its use for children and young women.
2. Write FDA Director Jeff Shuren
Separately, I urge you to send your comments to Runner’s boss, Dr. Jeff Shuren, Director, Center for Devices at email@example.com Ask Dr. Shuren, a physician, why FDA’s sole interest is protecting the pocketbook of the pro-mercury dentists instead of protecting children from mercury exposure.
3. Come Testify in Person
We invite you to confront FDA in person at public hearings on dental amalgam to be held on December 14-15 at the Holiday Inn-Gaithersburg, Main Ballroom, 2 Montgomery Village Ave, Gaithersburg, MD 20879, right outside of Washington DC. Consumer advocates, amalgam victims, and mercury-free dentists from across the country will be convening to testify and speak out against amalgam. If you would like to present testimony at the hearing, please contact FDA staff person Olga Claudio at firstname.lastname@example.org to notify her of your intention to speak. For more information about how you can help at the hearing, please contact consumer advocate Freya Koss at FreKoss@aol.com for details.
19 November 2010
Charles G. Brown, National Counsel
Consumers for Dental Choice
316 F St. NE, Suite 210, Washington DC 20002
202-544-6333 (p); 202-544-6331 (f)
NOTE: Let's review the purpose and job of FDA:
"The Food and Drug Administration (FDA or USFDA) is an agency of the United States Department of Health and Human Services, one of the United States federal executive departments, responsible for protecting and promoting public health through the regulation and supervision of food safety, tobacco products, dietary supplements, prescription andover-the-counter pharmaceutical drugs (medications), vaccines, biopharmaceuticals, blood transfusions, medical devices, electromagnetic radiation emitting devices (ERED), veterinary products, and cosmetics.
The FDA also enforces other laws, notably Section 361 of the Public Health Service Act and associated regulations, many of which are not directly related to food or drugs. These include sanitation requirements on interstate travel and control of disease on products ranging from certain household pets to sperm donation for assisted reproduction.The FDA is led by a Commissioner of Food and Drugs, appointed by the President with the advice and consent of the Senate. The Commissioner reports to the Secretary of Health and Human Services. The 21st and current Commissioner is Dr. Margaret A. Hamburg. She has served as Commissioner since February 2009."
LNH NOTE: Did you know mercury is still used in vaccines? The ingredient is called "thimerosal" and is used as a preservative. The FDA ruled that a vaccine can be called "thimerosal-free" if it contains one microgram or less of thimerosal http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/vaccines/QuestionsaboutVaccines/ucm070430.htm, yet mercury is a known human neurotoxin in ANY form and quantity.
And while petitioning communities, Californians for Green Dentistry was surprised to learn the number of people who believed the use of mercury amalgam had already been banned, and were happy to sign petitions to do their part in letting law makers know they expect this archaic and hazardous dental practice to be banned. This is the fuel that lead to Costa Mesa, California to become the first US city to officially oppose the use of dental mercury amalgam last month -- people don't like to be fooled, and are now active in taking a stand against toxic and hazardous practices still supported by government.
Now, it's your turn. We urge you to invest a few minutes of your time to support US/world health and environment by clicking the above links and following directives set by Charlie Brown. Laguna Natural Health actively supports Consumers for Dental Choice, Californians for Green Dentistry and the World Alliance for Mercury-Free Dentistry.
In the very best of health,