We love this easy, good-for-you recipe. Hummus is packed with protein, takes only minutes to make and is easy to transport to BBQ's and picnics.
LNH always suggests using organic ingredients, when available. Organic chickpeas and EVOO are available at Trader Joe's.
• 1 1/2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas plus 1/2 cup bean liquid
• 3 cloves garlic, peeled
• 1/4 cup sesame tahini (ground sesame seeds)
• 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 1 tsp. sea or himalayan salt
• cayenne pepper or paprika
• pine nuts
• celery stalks
• lettuce leaves
• Place the chickpeas and garlic in a blender or food processor
• Puree until the beans to break down
• Add a quarter to half of the reserved liquid or water, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice and salt
• Continue to puree well blended and the mixture has a smooth consistency
• Chill for a least 2 hours
• Serve on a bed on a lettuce or in your favorite bowl
• Garnish with a drizzle of EVOO
• Sprinkle of cayenne pepper or paprika
• Top with pine nuts
Serve as Dip for carrots, cucumbers and other favorite produce.
Makes 2 1/2 cups
Enjoy a peaceful weekend.