Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Calcium: The Knitter

Calcium is the top macromineral when it comes to your bones and the most abundant mineral in the body.  More than 99% of total body calcium is stored in the bones and teeth where it functions to support their structure. The remaining 1% is found throughout the body in blood, muscle, and the fluid between cells. Calcium is needed for muscle contraction, blood vessel contraction and expansion, the secretion of hormones and enzymes, and sending messages through the nervous system. A constant level of calcium is maintained in body fluid and tissues so that these vital body processes function efficiently. 

Possible Deficiency Signs:
• Bone frailty
• Poor posture
• Menstrual cramps, charley horse, etc.
• Rapid heartbeat
• Nervous tension
• Tooth decay
• Aches and pains
• Premature aging

Foods High in Calcium:
• Broccoli stems
• Kale
• Almost all fresh food
• Poultry
• Sprouts
• Yogurt
• Whole grains
• Eggs
• Cheese
• Raw, green, leafy vegetables
• Sesame seeds
• Almonds

Herbs High in Calcium:
• Valerian Root
• Whie Oak Bark
• Pau D'Arco
• Kelp
• Nettles 
• Cramp Bark
• Horsetail

Uses of Calcium in the Body:
• Solidifies bones
• Blood clotting
• Stimulates certain enzymes into action
• Regulates and relaxes the heart muscle
• Preserves muscular activity
• Induces sound sleep

Clinical Uses of Calcium:
• Pain reliever -- natural tranquilizer
• Arthritis
• Menstrual periods
• Menopause
• Rickets
• Osteoporosis (brittle or soft bones)
• Pregnancy and lactation
• Insomnia

The following deplete the body's calcium:
• Soda
• Smoke
• Alcohol
• Red meat
• Sugar
• Chocolate
• Refined foods
• Fluoride
• Formalgahyde - plastic - microwaved plastic, heated plastic water bottles, reusing plastic water bottles
• Saturated fat
• Sodium chloride
• Vitamin D5
• Coffee
• Steroids

The absorption of calcium is blocked by many drugs and some foods such as sugar, white flour products and cocoa. Fluoride added to drinking water produces possible calcium deficiencies. Women are generally more deficient in calcium than men.

LNH

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Post a Comment