Sunday, January 30, 2011
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Documents Prove Dr Andrew Wakefield's Innocence; BMJ and Brian Deer Caught Misrepresenting the Facts
Monday, January 24, 2011
United Nations Urged to Ban Mercury Fillings
--International Delegates Meet in Japan--
Members of various non-governmental organizations (NGOs), as well as dentists and scientists from groups such as the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT), will be attending and urging a ban on products containing mercury, including dental amalgam. The deliberations serve as the second of five intergovernmental negotiating committee (INC) meetings planned with the purpose of creating worldwide mercury regulations by 2013.
These meetings are the result of an agreement made by the Governing Council of the United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP) in 2009, when it was deemed necessary to create global standards addressing risks related to mercury, a toxic element phased out of many consumer products but still used in dental amalgam fillings.
On its website, UNEP cites reasons for recognizing the impact of mercury on human health: “Mercury can produce a range of adverse human health effects, including permanent damage to the nervous system, in particular the developing nervous system…[M]ercury can be transferred from a mother to her unborn child, [and] infants, children and women of child bearing age are considered vulnerable populations.”
Among the international delegates will be IAOMT dentist Graeme Munro-Hall of England, who represents a growing number of dentists and scientists from around the globe concerned about the toxic effects of mercury in silver amalgam fillings. Dr. Munro-Hall asserts, “International pressure to rid our world of toxic mercury will hopefully convince the FDA, CDC, NIH and ADA to acknowledge the perils of placing poison into the mouths of Americans.”
Attorney Charles Brown, President of the World Alliance for Mercury-Free Dentistry, based in Washington, DC, made an impact on the first INC meeting in Stockholm last year and will also speak in Chiba. In a recent message to the World Health Organization, Brown stated, “UNEP has identified amalgam as one of the five major products contributing to the global mercury problem, so action is urgently needed.”
Scientific studies substantiating the hazards of mercury fillings will be discussed by various international experts and organizations. Research that links autism to fetal exposure from maternal fillings will be provided by Mark Geier, M.D., Ph.D. Data collected by Joachim Mutter, M.D., published last week in the Journal of Occupational Medicine & Toxicology, will also be presented. Dr. Mutter’s findings relate mercury fillings to various neurological diseases, ranging from Alzheimer’s to multiple sclerosis.
At an FDA Dental Products advisory panel meeting in December, it was recommended that FDA consider banning and/or issuing stringent warnings for mercury filling use in children, pregnant women and an unclassified hypersensitive population. Countries such as Sweden, Norway and Denmark have already banned the use of mercury in dentistry.
In the United States, Maestro Ben Zander, conductor of the Boston Philharmonic Orchestra, speaks publicly about his complete recovery from Ménière's Disease after having his fifteen mercury amalgam fillings removed. The neurological disease, Ben says nearly cost him his career.
Charlie Brown, reporting from Chiba (Japan):
The W.H.O. has withdrawn the notorious Petersen Paper, a propaganda project of its in-house dentist to claim that phasing out amalgam is not feasible and that amalgam is a safe product.
After a constructive meeting of many amalgam stakeholders in 2009, where an agreement was reached to "phase down" amalgam, WHO dentist P E Petersen was assigned to write up the notes. Instead, Petersen secretly assembled three other pro-mercury dentists, all from developed countries, and produced a paper denying progress could be made on amalgam and making a series of provably false claims about amalgam and about the progress of that stakeholder meeting.
After those attending the meeting proved that the Petersen Paper in no way reflected what occurred there, a world uproar ensued, led by leaders of the World Alliance for Mercury-Free Dentistry. The United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP) showed great integrity, insisting that the Petersen Paper be withdrawn or else all reference to UNEP removed. Upon my written request, WHO's Assistant Director-General, Dr Ala Alwan, agreed to investigate the Petersen Paper, and to his credit, had the paper withdrawn.
It is being rewritten, and -- nota bene, my friends --
Our movement for mercury-free dentistry has achieved a stunning victory.
Charlie Brown, President, World Alliance for Mercury-Free Dentistry
Chiba, Japan, 24 January 2011
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
Saturday, January 22, 2011
Spinach is one of our best sources of nutrition. It can be grown as a back yard crop or bought from your local market at affordable prices. It is a source of vitamin A, B6, C, folate, niacin, and traces of many other nutrients including thiamine and riboflavin. Spinach is rich in beta carotene, lutein and xanthene and chlorophyllin. It's also low in fat.
Spinach offers a wide range of benefits to most of our physiological processes, whether taken raw or cooked, such as:
• Good Eyesight: Spinach is a rich source of beta carotene, lutein and xanthene, all of which are beneficial for eyesight. Beta carotene is supplied to the eyes by cooked spinach. It can prevent vitamin A deficiency disease, itching eyes, eye ulcers and dry eyes.
• Age-related Macula Degeneration (AMD): AMD or Retinitis pigmentosa is responsible for causing blindness. It is due to the degeneration of lutein and xanthene which form central part of the retina. According to research conducted by Oak Ridge National Laboratory, consumption of spinach can result in regaining of the two pigments and preventing AMD effectively.
• Blood Pressure: Spinach has high content of potassium and low content of sodium. This composition of minerals is highly beneficial for high blood pressure patients, as potassium lowers and sodium raises the blood pressure. Folate contributes in reducing hypertension and relaxes blood vessels, maintaining proper blood flow.
• Strengthens Muscles: A component of spinach, factor C0-Q10 which is an anti-oxidant, plays important role in strengthening muscles especially heart muscle which continuously pumps blood to all parts of the body. As per the Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, C0-Q10 can be used to prevent and treat many cardiovascular diseases like hyperlipidemia, heart failure, hypertension and coronary heart diseases.
• Cataract: Lutein and zeaxanthin present in spinach act as strong antioxidants thus preventing the eyes from harsh effects of UV rays that lead to cataract.
• Atherosclerosis and Heart Attack: Atherosclerosis is caused due to hardening of arteries. A pigment named lutein found in spinach has been shown to reduce the occurrence atherosclerosis, heart attack as well as stroke. This is due to the fact that spinach proteins tend to reduce the cholesterol and other fat deposits in the blood vessels.
• Neurological Benefits: Several components of spinach like potassium, folate, and various antioxidants are known to provide neurological benefits. According to Neurology, folate which reduces due to occurrence of Alzheimer's disease can be revived by spinach.
• Bone Mineralization: Spinach is a good source of Vitamin K, which functions in retaining calcium in the bone matrix thereby leading to bone mineralization. Minerals such as manganese, copper, magnesium, zinc and phosphorus also help in building strong bones. This in turn can aid in the prevention of osteoporosis of bones.
• Anti-Ulcerative: It has been found that spinach and some other vegetables have the ability to protect the mucous membrane of stomach thereby decreasing the occurrence of gastric ulcers.
• Anti-Cancerous Property: Spinach made up of various important constituents has been found to be promising in fighting various types of cancer, such as bladder, prostate, liver and lung cancer. Different constituents in spinach like folate, tocopherol, and chlorophyllin act via different mechanisms to treat and protect patients suffering from cancer.
• Skin Protection: Different phytonutrients and pigments have been shown to protect the skin from harmful rays of sun including the UV rays. These not only protect, but also repair the damaged genes to some extent, thereby preventing skin cancer in the long run.
• Fetus Development: Folate found in spinach is needed by the growing fetus for proper development of new nervous system. Defects like cleft palate or spina bifida may occur due to deficiency of folate. Vitamin A offered by spinach is advised to be consumed in more quantities by the mother. Vitamin A is required in lung development of fetus as well as during breast feeding.
Protein Rich for Infant’s Proper Growth: Popeye the Sailor Man is known for his obsession for spinach. The cartoon was deliberately shown to eat spinach and get strong. Infants are advised to be fed with spinach which is a rich in protein, vitamins minerals and phytonutrients. These will result in proportionate development in their growing stages.
Raw or cooked, spinach is versatile. Use it as a salad base, toss some in a Vitamix for a smoothie base, add it to an egg scramble, and make it the last thing you add to a batch of soup. Breakfast, lunch and dinner, you can count on spinach as a source of vital nutrition. Remember, spinach "shrinks" as you cook it, so be generous in your portion. When cooking, we suggest steaming or "wilting" by cooking in low temperatures.
As always, we suggest organically grown produce to reduce your body's toxic burden.
Friday, January 21, 2011
Thursday, January 20, 2011
Pure, clean water.
That’s what the ads say. But what does the lab say?
Bottled water can cost up to 1,900 times more than tap water. You have a right to know what exactly is inside that plastic bottle.
Most bottled water makers don’t agree. They keep secret some or all the answers to these elementary questions:
- Where does the water come from?
- Is it purified? How?
- Have tests found any contaminants?
Only one, Nestlé's Pure Life Purified Water, discloses its water source and treatment method on the label and offers an 800-number, website or mailing address where consumers can request a water quality test report. Among the ten best-selling brands, nine — Pepsi's Aquafina, Coca-Cola's Dasani, Crystal Geyser and six of seven Nestlé brands — don't answer at least one of those questions.
The industry's refusal to "tell all" about their bottled water leaves question marks looming above the heads of consumers. Seriously, what are they hiding?
Since July 2009, when Environmental Working Group released its groundbreaking Bottled Water Scorecard, documenting the industry's failure to disclose contaminants and other crucial facts about their products, bottled water producers have been taking withering fire from consumer and environmental groups.
A new EWG survey of 173 unique bottled water products finds a few improvements, but still too many secrets and too much advertising hype. Overall, 18 percent of bottled waters fail to list the source, and 32 percent disclose nothing about the treatment or purity of the water. Much of the marketing nonsense that drew ridicule last year can still be found on a number of labels.
EWG recommends that you drink filtered tap water. You'll save money, drink water that’s purer than tap water and help solve the global glut of plastic bottles.
We support stronger federal standards to enforce the consumer's right to know all about bottled water.
Until the federal Food and Drug Administration cracks down on water bottlers, use EWG's Bottled Water Scorecard http://breakingnews.ewg.org/bottled-water-2011-search to find brands that disclose water source, treatment and quality and that use advanced treatment methods to remove a broad range of pollutants.
And wait'll you see who's on the bottom of the list....
Wednesday, January 19, 2011
As a nation, we are very concerned about the cost and availability of healthcare, which, when we think about it, really starts with the each of us....and the individual choices we make during our daily lives. We may think they're small --- for instance, what we have for lunch may not be as earth-shattering as finding the money for our kids tuition -- yet the truth is, many poor decisions may add up to make one costly health disaster.
We've been offered a poorly written, under-researched and outrageously expensive plan which will prove to be a failure of epic proportion if signed into law.
The cornerstone to ANY viable health plan is self-education. Let's face it...the public has become lazy and irresponsible for their own health over the last 50 years, expecting a "magic bullet" to fix all of their problems -- from obesity to GERD to Type II Diabetes, which are all largely preventable conditions. It's an unrealistic expectation, and has already proven itself ineffective and expensive in terms of money AND human lives. It is estimated that 100,000 Americans die each year from the use of prescription drugs -- that's 270 a day. NO ONE has died as a result of eating organic fruits and vegetables, getting proper rest and drinking pure water.
People have learned to rely on a medical model of pharmaceuticals, which only treat symptoms and do not offer the body nutritional support to heal itself (which it's designed to do).
Most medical school educations do not include nutritional education, but do include pharmaceutical training -- diseases are given names so that they can be more easily identified with a pharmaceutical drug (think "Geranimals" matching system). Therefore, it makes sense that allopaths do what they are trained to do --- prescribe drugs, which are limited to treating symptoms, but not provide vital nutrition to the body so that it may heal itself.
Allopaths/Medical doctors have a vital role in saving lives....that's what they are trained to do. But they are not well trained in optimizing daily lifestyle choices, unless they have gone off on their own and taken additional natural health related courses of education.
There is room for both schools of training -- allopathic and naturopathic -- we need both, and we really need to be looking at what is best for our people on every count, not just industry revenues. Aside from pharmaceutical and insurance, there are others.....
The food industry has offered up many processed foods which are void of valuable nutrition, yet are loaded with toxic food additives which have shown to cause reactions in the brain to 'want' these toxic foods more, much like causing an addictive response --- and we wonder why obesity is one of our top 3 national health problems -- which is COMPLETELY PREVENTABLE.
Aside from herbicides and pesticides, chemical companies have created very expensive GE and GMO seeds, which produce crops void of valuable nutrition, but high in toxic chemicals which create more health problems.
Question: If food is void of nutrition, why are we eating?
Another question: Why spend trillions on a health care plan when the top three and most costly diseases are PREVENTABLE? It just seems to be punishing those who live balanced, healthy, optimized lives for those who opt for fast/junk food, soda and sedentary lifestyle.
My Plan (off the top of my head):
• Nutrition education programs will be written, executed and mandated in school curricula.
• Parents will be required to participate in nutritional education program.
• Food industry will be required to clearly label all products containing any and all chemical food additives.
• Food manufacturers will be bonused for providing organic and whole foods to their product line.
• Food manufacturers will be assessed a fee by the insurance industry for producing fast foods, and those with chemical food additives. If these manufacturers produce products which make people sick, they need to 'pay the piper'.
• That said, those manufacturers will pass along the extra charges to their customers. Again, if these are the people who are driving up medical costs across the board, they need to be held accountable for their decisions.
• Industrial farms which use chemical herbicides and pesticides will be assessed a charge, as it has been proven that people become sick from these toxic chemicals in their food source.
• Factory farms (meat, poultry) and farmed fish companies will all be assessed charges for using chemical feeds and injecting foods with antibiotics/hormones and any other substance.
The bottom line here is responsibility and accountability. It's imperative to the sustainability of our nation and it's people to revisit the health care revision plan.
Respectfully, and in the very best of health,
Kristin Mills, ND, CNHP
Saturday, January 15, 2011
9 Steps to Reversing Dementia
Start by looking hard for correctable causes of memory loss. They include:
• Pre-diabetes or metabolic syndrome
• Low thyroid function
• Deficiencies in B vitamins, especially vitamin B12
• Omega-3 fat deficiencies
• Mercury or other heavy metal toxicity
• Vitamin D deficiency
• High cholesterol
• Unique genes that predispose you to nutritional or detoxification problems
Doctors who practice Functional Medicine and follow Dr Hyman's principles discussed in UltraWellness can help you find these problems.
Once you identify the underlying causes of the imbalance, here are a few things that can help your mind get a tune-up:
1. Balance your blood sugar with a whole foods, low glycemic diet
2. Exercise daily — even a 30-minute walk can help
3. Deeply relax daily with yoga, meditation, biofeedback, or just deep breathing
4. Take a multivitamin and mineral supplement
5. Take an omega-3 fat supplement
6. Take extra vitamin B6, B12, and folate
7. Take vitamin D
8. Treat thyroid or low sex hormones
9. Get rid of mercury through a medical detoxification program
Dr Hyman says this is a start, but can go a long way to giving your brain a chance to heal and recover if you are already experiencing memory problems. If you're not suffering from cognitive decline, you should take these steps because they can help you prevent the aging of your brain and obtain lifelong health.